Friday, June 21, 2013

Your past is not your future....


I have a saying I like to quote to people who tell me that their pasts are not filled with their proudest achievements: “History is not destiny.” How did I come to this view of human existence? I believe in the capacity for every person to change. People do not need to be constant repeaters of their past mistakes. The ancient prophet, Isaiah, came to the same conclusion:

The Lord Almighty will bless them, saying, “Blessed be Egypt my people, Assyria my handiwork, and Israel my inheritance.” (Isaiah 19:25)

Wait! God is calling the very people who have ravaged, raped, pillaged and destroyed his people, “my people” and “my handiwork”. God has an entirely different view of what constitutes forgiveness and new life. You and I may write off people every day. God never crosses anyone off the list of hope for change and renewal. If you are ready to give up on yourself; remember God has not given up on you. In God’s mind you are still one of “my people” – Ron Friesen

No comments:

Post a Comment