Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Our Sole Compulsion


Our sole compulsion

How often have we said, “If only God would place me there, I could do a great work for him.”? Or we say, “If only God would give me that spiritual gift, I would be more useful for him.” How impetuous our wills are! How arrogant our thoughts are! How sentimental our emotions are! We miss the moment because our eyes are cast over there instead of what sits in front of us. We like to rest in the theology of “God chose me” because it gives us great comfort to lie in his hand, yet, we quickly argue with him out of our selfishness. Unless we understand that our purpose is to be “in Christ” instead of “do for Christ”, we will always be dissatisfied saints. What we fight is the continual dying to ourselves; yet we must continually remind ourselves of this one central truth: “…Jesus Christ and him crucified” (I Corinthians 2:2) – Ron Friesen

No comments:

Post a Comment