Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Ongoing transformation


One of the realities that followers of Jesus know is that God never does a superficial work in our lives. The only thing that keeps God from rooting out our character defects and persistent misbehaviors is our own stubbornness and pride. When we first come to God and ask for forgiveness, we experience a new awakening to the true nature of our character. We have had a temper all of our lives, however, it was so ingrained that we did not even notice it when our voice became louder and our chest tightened.  In our new life, we recognize our temper. We often say, “I asked God to forgive me. How come I still have this temper?” God forgave the results of our temper, but we have yet to give God our temper. God will do the deep work of transformation as we cry out with the Psalmist, “Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! (Psalm 139:23). – Ron Friesen

No comments:

Post a Comment