Sunday, February 10, 2013

Freedom from myself


Freedom from myself

The individuality and individualism that is held up in our world as a hallmark of human accomplishment runs counter to the Gospel. Our individuality often declares itself by saying, “I can’t surrender,” or “I can’t be free.” If we attend to the spiritual dimension of our being, we soon learn it never says, “I can’t”; it is always opening itself to more and more of God. We are created with a great capacity to experience the Divine, but our individuality, the “I” in the middle of the word, “sin”, keeps us from reaching our potential. The moment we declare the futility of saving ourselves, the very moment we agree with God that we are captives of our own imaginations, this very moment is the moment we are free to experience the fullness of Christ which fills all things (Ephesians 1:23).

2 comments:

  1. Is it not what we do with our talents on who we bless with our works that's important? Is it not who we give thanks to that matters? We are sinful by nature. Like Paul said, I do the things I don't want to do, but don't do the things I want to do. The flesh is very powerful and we're always victim to it, but there is power in the blood. I quit trying to live a perfect life long ago when I learned more about grace. An unconditional love, though you may not approve of ones behavior, you can still love regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron. I think you are agreeing with me. Nothing you say contradicts what I believe or am saying. Ron

    ReplyDelete