Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Finishing Well

I am closer to the grave than I am to the cradle. As I move closer to the end of my life, I wonder about the finishing kick. As I read the Biblical record and the biographies of spiritual leaders, I do not take it for granted that I will finish well. There are lots of traps, side tracks, possible missteps along the way. The issue is self-discipline to the end. St. Paul describes it this way:

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore, I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize” (I Corinthians 9:24-27).

How do we ensure that we finish well? That we do not find ourselves disqualified? The Way is the way of community. We cannot run this race alone. We need each other! We need to be accountable to each other. Want to finish well? Find a good spiritual director or a fellow believer who is just a little further on the Way than you. I have several men like this in my life.

Ronald Friesen © 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment