Wednesday, September 11, 2013

What kept you awake last night?


What kept you awake last night? Oh, I don’t mean the barking dog or the humming refrigerator. I mean what really kept you awake? Was it worrying about your teenage daughter’s choices? Or was it the way your boss talked to you after lunch? Or was it how you are going to pay for the latest repair on your car?

The Psalmist had a few sleepless nights – we know because he wrote about them.

Lord, how many are my foes! How many rise up against me!
Many are saying of me, “God will not deliver him.” Psalm 3:1

Lots of people are having sleepless nights about what is going to happen in Syria. The Psalmist reminds us:

“I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.” Psalm 3:5

A lot of us lie down but we do not sleep; the writer says, “I lie down and sleep.” Why? Because he knows that he cannot do a thing while he is asleep.

The God who does not sleep will carry us through the night and we awaken refreshed. You can focus on the lows of life or the Lord of life. – Ron Friesen

No comments:

Post a Comment