Thursday, September 12, 2013

Are you depressed?


Ever feel depressed? If you are in a stadium of 10,000 people, 1,000 of the crowd will report symptoms of depression and 340 of the crowd actually will have symptoms of major depression. Depression is serious issue affecting families, economic life and the community.

Some biblical commentators call the fourth Psalm in the Psalter, the psalm of depression.

Out of the gate, the Psalmist makes is plea –

Answer me when I call to you,
   my righteous God.
Give me relief from my distress;
   have mercy on me and hear my prayer. Psalm 4:1

The torment of depression is real; the cry for relief is not without warrant. Modern medicine has created some helpful pills for those suffering from depression. We should never talk anyone who is find help in medicine to stop taking their pills.

Many people also find relief through their faith. They have found the final prayer of the Psalmist to be their experience:

(O Lord), Let the light of your face shine on us.
Fill my heart with joy
   when their grain and new wine abound.
In peace I will lie down and sleep,
   for you alone, LORD,
   make me dwell in safety.  Psalm 4:6-8 

No comments:

Post a Comment