Sunday, September 22, 2013

We are what we will...


We are what we will. Reflect on this for a moment: we are what we will. We often say we are what we feel or what we think. Our feelings or our thoughts do not make do anything until our wills are engaged. “I feel hungry; I think I’ll go to the refrigerator.” Until you will yourself to move toward the refrigerator, you only have a feeling or a thought.

The same truth is true on a spiritual level; our spiritual well-being is determined, not by a feeling or a thought, but by our will. Over 3,000 years ago, the writer of the Psalms had a greater understanding of human psychology than many do today. He understood that spiritual vitality was not a feeling or a thought; but an act of the human will:

I will give thanks to you, LORD, with all my heart;
   I will tell of all your wonderful deeds.
I will be glad and rejoice in you;
   I will sing the praises of your name, O Most High. Psalm 9:1-2

All of our life is a series of choices including our spiritual life. Today, by an act of your will, make a decision to turn your heart, mind and soul toward God. – Ron Friesen

5 comments:

  1. Because we seldom do things for no reason ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nota, You are correct - which is why we must engage our will in whatever endeavor we purse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which is why I was asking, why? 'Turn toward God,' I mean. To acquire some benefit? To avoid some loss?

    ReplyDelete