Friday, September 27, 2013

How long, God?


How long, God? We have waited for justice. We have waited for a word of wisdom. We have waited for a word of hope. We have waited for some good news. How long, O God!

We are not alone in our cry for a word or action on our behalf from God. Over 3,000 years ago the Psalmist cried out the same: How long, God?

“How long, Lord? Will you forget me forever?

How long will you hide your face from me?
How long must I wrestle with my thoughts
and day after day have sorrow in my heart?

How long will my enemy triumph over me?” Psalm 13:1-2

When you can believe while the heavens seem like brass, you are coming to a place of spiritual maturity. You see it is easy to believe when the bank account and the freezer are full. It is another reality to believe when all seems to be going badly: there is no gas in the car, there is no food in the cupboards, the rebels are shooting as you flee for safety and your heart knows more days of sorrow than joy. If you can still believe when this is the state of your life then you have joined the Psalmist as he sings the final words of this song:

“But I trust in your unfailing love;

my heart rejoices in your salvation.
I will sing the Lord’s praise,
    
for he has been good to me.” Psalm 13:5-6 

- Ron Friesen

No comments:

Post a Comment