Thursday, January 15, 2015

Feel Abandoned?


Ever been abandoned? Jesus knows the feeling:

At noon, darkness came over the whole land until three in the afternoon. And at three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?” (which means “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”). (Mark 15)

One of the comforting realities for me and for many followers of Jesus is to know that we have a Friend who knows how we feel. I don’t know about you but knowing that there is Someone who understands me is very consoling.

Many people who say they are Christians place a great deal of emphasis on the intellectual aspects of their faith. There is a place for the mind and for a rational defense for the Faith. There is also a place for the heart and an emotional defense of the faith. One of the great American thinkers and key figure in the Great Awakening, Jonathan Edwards, who addressed this issue in Treatise of Religious Affections. Edwards argued that while rational thoughts were essential, he affirmed emotions as significant in the life of a follower of Jesus.

Feel abandoned? God knows how you feel.

Ron Friesen © 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment