Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Do not fear…


Do not fear…

The writer of the biblical book, Lamentations, leads us through his struggle to understand the meaning of suffering. In this text, he reveals his secret to overcoming suffering:

I called on your name, Lord,
from the depths of the pit.
You heard my plea: “Do not close your ears 
to my cry for relief.”
You came near when I called you, and you said, “Do not fear.” (Lamentations 3:55-57)

God loves honesty. We writhe in our pain and grief. There is no sense in hiding it from God or ourselves. Our God is not the God of the stiff-upper lip. Who are we fooling? With the writer of these words, we cry out to God: “Listen to me!” God responds to our honest pleading with a still, small voice: “Do not fear.” God is near to those who are broken-hearted. – Ron Friesen

No comments:

Post a Comment