Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Praying with those who are Homeless


She is standing near the door of the Lodestar Day Resource Center looking sad and very alone. Her eyes are empty of any liveliness. I greet her and introduce myself. She brightens. “I have been here for three weeks.” Her husband joins after a few minutes. They tell me they are from the Midwest. “We came here to see if my wife would feel better here.” She tells me she has a painful chronic illness. They tell me they have been married for three years. The husband explains their dilemma. “I began looking for work and learned I will make half of what I made in my previous jobs.” Reality is that Phoenix jobs do pay less and cost of living is not lower than the Midwest. I inquire about their faith. They share they have a home church back home. We continue to talk about their thoughts about trying to make it in Phoenix or returning to the Midwest. I offer to pray with them. They welcome the prayer. I meet them later in the day. Their faces are brighter; their steps a bit lighter. God is present with them; it needed some affirmation.

No comments:

Post a Comment