Sunday, April 22, 2018

A morning with a homeless man

A Morning at Project Connect

About 10 times a year the Valley of the Sun United Way organizes an event called Project Connect that brings together agencies whose mission it is to bring services to the homeless.

Having never attended this event, I was eager to attend.

This month's Project Connect was held at Calvary Community Church, a perfect facility for an event such as this. Large rooms for serving meals, more than adequate other rooms for agencies such as Homeless ID Project (Birth Certificates), St. Joseph the Worker (resume writing and job searches), Circle the City (medical assistance for the homeless), Motor Vehicle Department (state Identification and driver’s licenses), Community Bridges (Case management/referrals to services), Department of Economic Security for food stamps and Arizona Health Care Containment System (AHCCCS,) which is Arizona’s Medicare program.

Calvary Community Church offers a very large hallway which made room for many agencies to staff a table for information for attendees. Talking to representatives from Basic Mission, Phoenix Rescue Mission, Point Man Ministries, A New Leaf, Valle del Sol and the Associate Pastor of Calvary Community Church reaped valuable resources for me to give to those I meet at the Human Service Campus. 

While I am visiting one of the booths, a young man, Raul, walks up. “I am looking for a voucher so I can get a state id.” I offer to take him to the Homeless ID Project who help the homeless who have lost their Identification to replace their paperwork. Upon learning from the folks at the Homeless I D Project that he can get his state identification replaced for free today at the Motor Vehicle Department  (MVD) room. 

We walk over to the MVD room and are informed that they do not have their internet up yet. “Maye 20 minutes.” The line is not very long so we stand in line. During our wait we visit. The conversation is difficult follow as Raul seems to have some issues with focusing his thoughts. I figure out he usually sleeps in a park but he also can sleep at his mother’s house. “I am the fourth boy.” He shares a little bit of his family life, however, like many homeless people he is guarded about his personal information. Eventually we get into the room where the MVD is giving out state drivers’ licenses and state identification cards. Raul decides he wants to replace his driver’s license instead of getting a state identification card. The process is painless and speedy.

Raul and I walk around and find a very large room where there are many clothes. Raul looks for some t-shirts. He finds a long-sleeve shirt that matches the shirt the one is wearing. 

Raul and I go outside. We get a water and Raul decides he wants to get a shower. I wander back into the church and visit with some more of the various agencies. 

I notice there is a Department of Economic Security (DES) room and I wonder if Raul has an AHCCCS card and would be interested in food stamps. I go back to where I left him standing in line for a shower provided by a local church that has a mobile shower. Raul has not lined up for the shower. I ask him if he has an AHCCCS card. “No.” I lead him to the DES location. As we stand at the door, Raul explains why he cannot get the state insurance health plan because “it is all tied to a federal thing and then they will find you.” It soon appears that Raul suffers from either delusional thinking or paranoia. Eventually we leave the DES room and part ways. Raul thanks me for my patience with him. “I know you care.” 

Ronald Friesen © 2018                                                                                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment