Thursday, January 23, 2014

Target of malice?


Ever been the target of vicious rumors? Is someone out to destroy your reputation? At least once in my life I was such a target; it is not a pleasant place to be. The Psalmist understood my experience when he wrote,

Don't let them find me—
      the conspirators out to get me,
   Using their tongues as weapons,
      flinging poison words,
      poison-tipped arrow-words.
   They shoot from ambush,
      shoot without warning,
      not caring who they hit.
   They keep fit doing calisthenics
      of evil purpose,
   They keep lists of the traps
      they've secretly set.
   They say to each other,
      "No one can catch us,
      no one can detect our perfect crime." - Psalm 64:2-5 (The Message)

Over time I learned the truth of the rest of this Psalm:

The Detective detects the mystery
      in the dark of the cellar heart.

 The God of the Arrow shoots!
      They double up in pain,
   Fall flat on their faces
      in full view of the grinning crowd. – Psalm 64:6-8 (The Message)

When I learned the fate of those who sought to destroy me, I was reminded that vengeance is never mine, only God’s. – Ron Friesen

No comments:

Post a Comment