Wednesday, January 29, 2014

A Sovereign God


The idea that God is sovereign strikes terror in the hearts of many people. Many people cannot imagine that somehow God is directing their affairs or the affairs of the world. And if they believe that God is supervising the activities of the cosmos, God is doing a very poor job because there is so much suffering and sadness. Many people ask the question, “Where was God when _______________?” Over the centuries many people have tried to answer this question. The Psalmist takes a different approach because he believes that God is not a philosophical idea but a Personal Being who can be trusted to work out the big picture even when it is not known. The Psalmist acknowledges,

For you have been my hope, Sovereign LORD. – Psalm 71:5

I encourage you take the time to read the Psalm in its entirety to learn why you can have hope in God’s sovereignty. – Ron Friesen

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ron, how are you doing these days. OK here is my question. Elsewhere in the Bible the opposite idea can be found, the sovereign, so......... which do you want me to accept, the one that feels right, the one that scares me less? Further into this Psalm the Psalmist is bargaining with God, I praised you now protect me, do I do good then remind God he owes me one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. YF, I am doing quite well these days. I think the answer to your question can be found in my observation that God is in charge of the big picture.

    ReplyDelete