Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Do you really know God?


There is a common trend in American Evangelical thought that emphasizes that Christianity is simply a set of propositions to which a person gives assent. I call this the “Pass the Sunday School test and you are in heaven” view of the Christian faith. My reading of the Hebrew roots of the Christian faith makes a lie out of this perspective. Read these words from the Psalmist:

I love you, Lord, my strength.
The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
    
my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,
    
my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. – Psalm 18:1-2

Did you count the number of  times the personal pronoun “my” appears in these few lines? I count nine of them. Could it be that the reason the Christian faith is so anemic in our culture is that we hold to some truths about God but we do not really have a transforming relationship with God? It is one thing to have a wedding ceremony; it is another to be married. Many Americans mark “Christian” on the census; they have yet to be united with their God in an intimate relationship. – Ron Friesen

No comments:

Post a Comment