Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Ash Wednesday with the Homeless


My Ash Wednesday with the Homeless

A few weeks ago, I thought it might be a good idea to bring ashes to the Human Services Campus in Phoenix, Arizona.

Understanding that I had no idea what it entailed. I reached out to a friend, Gina Pollard. She gave me some ideas and put me in contact with a deacon at her church, Rev. Kim Crecca. Rev. Crecca attempted to find some volunteers to come from her church to assist me in providing ashes but was unsuccessful.

Yesterday I found ashes and a container for holding the ashes at the local Catholic Church supply store. I asked the clerk how I was to do the service. “I have no idea,” he said.

I went home and used Google to help me find instructions on how to provide ashes to the homeless and staff at the Human Service Campus. Thank you, Google!

This morning with some fear and trepidation I went to the campus with my bag containing some olive oil, the ashes and the ash pyx, the fancy name for the container.

It was probably a good thing that I had promised one of the service providers at the campus that I was going to make sure there were ashes at the campus today or I would have probably given up on the whole idea. After I had made up my little presentation and memorized the words of imposition, another term I had to learn in this whole experience, I went to the office of this lady. She was so honored and humble by my simple imposition of the ashes on her forehead that I was emboldened to walk into the day room where many of the homeless sit during the day.

The first man offered the ashes to asked me the meaning of the ashes and Ash Wednesday. It was a simple little teaching moment to talk about Lent and our preparation for Easter celebration. He thought about it while I offered the ashes to others near him. In a few minutes he asked me if I would impose the ashes on his forehead. I believe in that moment of reflection he found his faith renewed and symbolized by the ashes.

I continued to walk around the day room offering the ashes. Some people waved me over to where they were seated. I was impressed by the simple faith and humility that marked each person’s demeanor.

I offered the ashes to various staff. I walked over to the Central Arizona Shelter Services (CASS) which houses 400 people every evening.  While waiting for permission to enter the building, Lisa Glow the CEO of CASS, walked in the lobby. We chatted for a few minutes and offered to walk me around all the staff rooms as I offered the ashes to her staff. The staff were very grateful for the opportunity to receive the ashes.

In the end, over 50 people received the ashes. Several people asked me to pray with them as well.

Somedays you just have to be faithful to the inner promptings fo the Spirit and follow God to where loving and caring needs to show up. I believe I ministered to Jesus today as I brought my simple offering of ashes to the Human Service Campus.

Ronald Friesen©2018

No comments:

Post a Comment