Monday, February 5, 2018

God's transforming love...

I have completed a month of being the chaplain to the homeless. I thought you might want an update.

I have been spending about 12-15 hours a week meeting people on the Human Service Campus in downtown Phoenix. Over 1,000 people of all ages and ethnicities come to the campus. It breaks my heart to see the mentally ill and the elderly. Why should a person in their 70s be homeless in this land of plenty? What is a Seriously Mentally Ill (SMI) mother doing talking to herself in this strange place.

I am filled with hope in the middle of the sadness. Why? Because I am meeting very dedicated people who are addressing these people's needs against all odds and often without the cooperation of our government agencies or other private agencies who get lots of taxpayer money.

We are holding weekly chapel services at the St. Vincent de Paul Chapel on Sunday morning. Four different folks (we call them chaplains) are leading these services. Our smallest attendance in the last 9 week has been 6 and yesterday we had our largest attendance of 20. One man did not come into the chapel, however, we prayed with him in the hall. There was a spirit of faith, hope and love in the chapel as we gathered to hear Chaplain Doug give an inspiring word on why we did not need to live in fear.

This morning I held my first Bible Study in my office. Three people showed up - all had attended the worship service yesterday. One of the attendees began to cry as we talked about God's abundant and non-judgmental love.

God is at work and this humble servant is rejoicing.

Ronald Friesen (c) 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment