Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Today you will be with me in paradise


“I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise" – Luke 23:43

One of the most fascinating conversations Jesus had while he hung on the cross was the one with the two men he was executed with. The two men represent the two responses that humanity has to Jesus’ death: the one curses Jesus; the other defends his innocence. The one makes the accusation often made at Jesus: why do we not see miracles every day? “If you are the Anointed one, get yourself off the cross.” In modern speak, “Where is God? There is all this suffering in the world; God doesn’t care!” The other criminal responded differently, “There is a lot of suffering in the world. A lot of it we bring on ourselves. Don’t blame God for the suffering you bring on yourself.” 

Jesus’ responds to this humble confession of personal responsibility and says, “Today you will be with me in my heavenly kingdom.” – Ron Friesen

No comments:

Post a Comment