Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Obama-Catholic debate

I have been asked what I think about the Obama/Catholic debt. Here are my thoughts.
I used to work for Catholic Charities who were in the same health care plan which covered all employees of the Diocese of Phoenix.
I have mixed feelings on this debate because like me most of CC staff were not Catholics. Same is true in most Catholic hospitals and colleges in the US. I guess if Catholic institutions want to turn down all government contracts and funds (inc. Medicaid, student loans, etc) and to hire only Catholic employees then they would be free to argue to uphold their view on contraception.
One of the ironies of this discussion is that I am hearing that about 96% of all Catholic women have used birth control pills.
The Amish would be a good example of a group who has been able to make their case that they are free of government interference because they don't accept any direct government aid. They do pay taxes which cover the services they receive like roads. These are my thoughts today.

1 comment:

  1. I guess the catholic church will close their hospitals and schools or riot. As a Knight of Columbus the argument that we are receiving money and should do what ever the gov't says is nuts. We perform a very valuable service to the people of all races and age. Don't dare the church regarding contraception order.
    I believe the church should go on it's own merry way. Form the Catholic Political Party and kick all those baby killers out of office.

    ReplyDelete