Sunday, February 26, 2012

What does Lent mean?














Today is the first Sunday of Lent. If you go to a church service, someone may ask you, "What are you giving up for Lent?
It is not uncommon for people to say something like this, "I am giving up Chocolate." Or, "I am giving up Starbucks."
I don't think this is what Lent means. Lent is a time when we reflect on the true cost of following Jesus of Nazareth. The true cost is being shown us by the pastor is Iran who is facing execution this week because he refuses to deny his faith in Jesus.
Lent is about thinking about going all the way to the death for the One who went all the way of death for me.
(c) 2012 Ronald Friesen

4 comments:

  1. Good morning Ron,
    Good post.


    Sarge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are any of us ready to lay down our life to show our faith in Jesus? I am but what would I be risking? I'm not in good health and it would be great not to have to be concerned about it any longer. But what of the rest of you?

    ReplyDelete