Sunday, January 29, 2012

What for politics?

 
 
 
 
 
 
"I must say that among educated people, politics occupies far too great a proportion of their time. . .Questions of higher spirit cannot even be compared to the sort of blinking frivolity of politics. The ultimate problems of life and death show the colossal nature of this difference even more...People are prepared to stuff their heads with anything, and to talk on any subject, while actually blocking off any true contemplation of the [whole] issue. This is the reason for the increased pettiness of our society, and our concentration on the small and the irrelevant." - Alexander Solzhenitsyn

2 comments:

  1. Add cable news 24/7 and the internet and the brain becomes used to the constant bombardment of bytes of written noise which retrains the brain to avoid deeper contemplation. I have a doctor who knows where her ability comes from. She instructs her patients to limit exposure. The limit helps us to achieve a natural state of health which leads to deeper contemplation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry, I gave myself this advice to myself about 15 years ago and I have reduced my blood pressure considerably.
    ron

    ReplyDelete