Thursday, January 9, 2020

An Anointing

One Tuesday as the group was gathering around our tables in the Rev. Gerald Roseberry Conference Room, in the offices of the Ecumenical Chaplaincy for the Homeless, one of the participants, “George” asked me if I wanted to be anointed as he pulled out a 12 ounce, green-colored bottle of olive oil out of his backpack. I said, “Yes. Is this like the anointing of Moses and Aaron? Are you planning on anointing me from the top of my head?” As I walked toward George, he poured a cap-full of olive oil into his hand. I was grateful. He then took his finger and tabbed it into his cupped-hand and proceed to anoint on my forehead while praying a blessing over me and my ministry. Among people experiencing homelessness are people of faith who want to receive and give ministry.

Ron Friesen (c) 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment