Wednesday, August 15, 2018

What can I learn from a homeless woman?

Planning a Memorial Service

Today (8/14/18) was a new experience for me: I sat with a young lady and her boyfriend as we planned a memorial service for her oldest sister who died a few weeks ago after an epileptic seizure. The young lady and her sister have been homeless for about 8 months.

This is not the first time I have sat with a grieving family to plan a service to honor the life of a loved one. As a pastor of over forty years, I have planned and presided over many funerals and memorial services. 

It is always a sacred time to talk about a loved one. There is the reflection of the entrance of the deceased into God’s world. Sarah spoke about how a smile (God’s smile?) was released into the world with the birth of her sister. Rachel. “She was always smiling.” Sarah brought half a dozen pictures of Rachel – and there it was – a smile in every picture: a mischievous smile, a pouting smile, an awe-shucks smile, and a “I am so cute” smile.

Then it came time to talk about the “miracle” of Rachel’s life. Rachel’s life began with being deprived of oxygen. “No one was sure she would even live for two years.” All of her life was a challenge as she struggled academically. What was lacking in cognitive abilities was made up with social skills.

Sitting with Sarah I realize how our lives are all intertwined. Our circumstances are just that circumstances. Being homeless did not change Rachel nor does it change Sarah who is also homeless. I recall the words of St. Paul, “In whatever my circumstances, I have learned to be content.”  I don’t know how my presence may have affected Sarah and her boyfriend, I do know I was changed by being in their presence. I have to do some work on learning to be content.

Ronald Friesen © 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment