Monday, March 5, 2018

Ministry to the Homeless Update


It has been 8 weeks now that I have been coming to the Human Service Campus, downtown Phoenix.

Here are some observations:

There are new homeless every day. Today, I met a young man who was so new to the campus that he didn’t have his campus ID yet so he had a lunch ticket for lunch. He looked out of sorts and out of place. I was unable to figure out the reason for his current circumstances, however, I walked away from our brief conversation thinking: “He doesn’t belong here.” My experience with “Robert” is not new. I have seen and met other guests of the campus who do not belong here.

There are people who cycle through the campus and have history here. Today I met “Raul” who told me, “I was here long ago. I thought the ID people were here in this office.” I redirected him to the Brian Garcia Welcome Center where he could get help with replacing his documents at the Homeless I.D. Project. He was the third person I met today who had been homeless previously and needed IDs. (I made a sign to put on the door to redirect people to the current office of the Homeless I.D. Project.)

I am amazed how many people experience homelessness over and over again. I am beginning to think that the chances for new experiences of homelessness increase for people who have experienced it once. “Recidivism” is a term I have usually heard applied to people who return to prison, in fact, that is the dictionary definition of recidivism. I am beginning that “recidivism” can also apply to those who experience homelessness over and over. I have heard the words, “chronic homeless” to describe these individuals.

The growing number of homeless is an issue that needs the combined efforts of government, non-profits, businesses and individuals. Last week, the chairman of a meeting, I attended, said homelessness was not going away and we should “expect more tent cities.” Why? Phoenix has the least amount of affordable housing of any US city according to an Urban Institute study. Portland is being held up as a model of how to build tent cities for “the homeless.” I say, “the homeless” camping out is a way to live.

Do I see some hope? Yes, I see much faith among the people I interact with every day. I come bearing hope and faith so I am sure that I engender these qualities in those I met. That said, the people I sit with talk about their faith and hope in something greater than government and the agencies attempting to provide services. I am grateful for the volunteer chaplains who provide worship services on Sunday morning. The Monday morning Bible Study group continues to support and build faith in those who come.

I am also encouraged by the many churches who want provide concrete, long-term support for those coming out of homelessness. I am working with Success off the Street (SOS) to recruit, train and send out volunteers to be with those who have been newly placed in housing.


Ronald Friesen ©2018

2 comments:

  1. Why is the issue of affordable housing not being addressed? Are taxes that high in Phoenix?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry, It is not a matter of taxes. It is a matter of more people seeking housing than there is available. About 250 people are moving to Phoenix a month. Also landlords who used to accept Section 8 Housing vouchers are now kicking residents with these vouchers out of their apartments because they can rent those units out for more than the Section 8 (HUD) pays. Does this help explain the issue?

    ReplyDelete