Saturday, January 6, 2018

Seeing or Looking?

What do you see? 

This is an important question. There is a difference between looking and seeing. We all look but we do not all see. 

On occasion I have had people say to me as I am observing them, "What are you looking at?" They might be asking the wrong question. They should be asking, What do you see?" There are a few people in my life who do ask me this latter question and we have a serious discussion about my observations. 

While you and I walk around or drive around every day, what do we see? 

Here is Fr. Richard Rohr's thoughts on seeing:

Can you see the image of Christ in the least of your brothers and sisters? This is Jesus’ only description of the final judgment (Matthew 25). But some say, “They smell. They’re a nuisance. They’re on welfare. They are a drain on our tax money.” Can we see Christ in all people, even the so-called “nobodies” who can’t or won’t play our game of success? When we can see the image of God where we don’t want to see the image of God, then we see with eyes not our own. 

Richard’s words echo the words of Mother Teresa as she saw the poor and dying:

“Each one of them is Jesus in disguise.”

What do you see?


Ronald Friesen © 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment