Sunday, December 17, 2017

Joy! Real Joy!





            This is the third Sunday of Advent. The theme of this Sunday is joy.

I am glad that the theme is joy and not happiness. Joy is a deep inner feeling of contentment while happiness depends on circumstances or happenings. I feel happy when I get a new job or a new car or a new relationship. Happiness is often fickle and temporary.

Joy is a sense of contentment even when things do not go well. St. Paul was in prison when he wrote what is often called the “Letter of Joy” – the letter we call Philippians. In this letter he wrote:

1Not that I speak [g]from want, for I have learned to be [h]content in whatever circumstances I am. know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.  I can do all things [i]through Him (God) who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:11-13

Several thoughts spring to my mind as I read this.

First, joy is a discipline not a natural condition of the human experience. No one is naturally joyful. Paul said he had to learn to be content. From my many years of working with people, I have noticed that people who are joyful have learned that life is much deeper than whatever it is they are currently experiencing.

Second, joy is experienced in all kinds of circumstances. I can be joyful when my bank account is full and when it is empty. This does not mean that I have a “care nothing attitude.” I do care when things are not going well, however, I have a perspective that is bigger than the current situation. I know that my current experience fits into a larger scheme of things.

Third, joy is a deeply rooted in a spirituality that finds it hope and comfort in a personal God who cares about everything even when a hair falls out of my head. While my faith may be feeble or weak, God is not feeble or weak. God is my rock and my salvation. Joy comes from knowing that God will see me through.

It is my prayer you will find this joy in this season of Christmastide.


© Ronald Friesen 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment