Friday, September 11, 2015

The look that changes us...

I am on a new part of my spiritual journey. I have joined myself to a wonderful man who is teaching me the beauty and power of meditation through various forms of prayer and reflection. St. Paul encouraged meditation in this text:

Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit” (2 Corinthians 3:17-18).

It has been said that we become what we look at. The object of our visual attention captures us and begins to change us. The follower of Jesus is encouraged to look and meditate on the the beauty of the Lord. Some theologians call this gazing at the beatific vision. The power of this vision is its ability to change us, to transform us. We cannot gaze at the beauty of God’s love, mercy and grace without being changed.

If its true that we become what we eat; it is also true that we become what we look at. What are you and I looking at?


Ronald Friesen © 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment