Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Which do you fear - dying or death?



“Which do you fear: dying or death?” Over the years I have asked this question of hundreds of people who have been told they have a life-limiting disease. Interestingly, most people say they fear dying more than death itself. Most find the process of dying more terrifying than death itself. The greatest reason for this fear is fear of dying in pain and suffering. Fortunately, with modern medicine and programs such as Hospice, many people can be assured all with be done to keep them comfortable in the last days of their lives.

What about death itself? Many people find that death is not so terrifying because they know something of the eternal comfort that the Psalmist knew:

“You (God) will not abandon me to the realm of the dead.” Psalm 16:10

Abandonment is worse than death itself. Will anyone remember me and care about me after I am gone. Here is the Good News: You can fall asleep tonight and wake up in the arms of Jesus. – Ron Friesen

4 comments:

  1. Preacher-san,
    Visit a nursing home and that will change the way you think about death. If I see I am headed that way; I will do something about it.
    Update on me: Doing fine. Surprised that I don't glow in the dark after forth three radiation treatments...

    Bests,

    Sarge

    www.onedrunkenoldsergeant.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarge, As a hospice chaplain I visited many nursing homes. Good nursing homes know how to provide quality nursing care at life's end. Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron,
    We need to do like the Dutch and help those poor people to the grave. And, that isn't be cruel; that is being humane and I believe that Jesus would agree with me.

    Sarge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarge, You and I will disagree on that thought. Ron

    ReplyDelete